The Dangers Associated With Gardasil
Brad HewettJune 28, 2011 8:32 AM
What is Gardasil?
Gardasil is manufactured by Merck, Inc., and promoted as a cervical cancer vaccine. According to official product information, "Gardasil is the only cervical cancer vaccine that helps protect against four types of human papillomavirus (HPV): two types that cause 70 percent of cervical cancer cases, and two more types that cause 90 percent of genital warts cases." The manufacturer states that Gardasil is for girls and young women ages 9 to 26.
What are the dangers associated with Gardasil?
Among the official side effects listed by the manufacturer are pain, swelling, itching, bruising and redness at the injection site; headache, fever, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and fainting. Sometimes fainting is accompanied by falling with injury, as well as shaking or stiffening and other seizure-like activity. Patients who are severely allergic to yeast should not take Gardasil.
However, since the drug's introduction in 2006, the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) has received more than 15,000 reports of adverse side effects related to Gardasil. These reports include serious adverse side effects including Guilliane Barre, lupus, seizures, paralysis, blood clots, brain inflammation and many others.
There have been 44 reported deaths as a result of Gardasil uses.
Then, on October 25, 2009, Dr. Diane Harper, lead researcher in the development of two human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccines and director of the Gynecologic Cancer Prevention Research Group at the University of Missouri, told an audience of medical professionals that Gardasil is largely unnecessary, and that it has never been fully tested on females under the age of 15. This, despite strong marketing efforts to make the drug mandatory for girls, and product literature and advertising that state the product can be used by girls as young as age 9.
Dr. Harper's remarks were made to an audience at the 4th International Public Conference on Vaccination. During this talk, she said 70 percent of all HPV infections resolve themselves without treatment within a year, and that within two years that number climbs to 90 percent. Of the remaining 10 percent, she said, only half will develop into cervical cancer, resulting in "little need for the vaccine." She also said incidences of cervical cancer are steadily decreasing with conventional treatments and preventative measures.
What can I do?
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury or other serious side effect as the result of taking Gardasil, or if a loved one has died as a result of taking this drug, you may be entitled to compensation. Please contact us today by calling our toll-free number (1-866-959-4341) for a free, no-cost, no-obligation evaluation of your case.